Position Title: Mechanical Draughtsperson
Reporting to: Drawing Office Supervisor
We have an urgent position as “ D client is one of New Zealand’s leading large vehicle and machinery re-engineering businesses that specialize in vehicles, machinery and attachments. They have been transforming vehicles, machinery and attachments by re-engineering OEM products to suit the demands of New Zealand customers. Their vehicles can be found in a range of industries from transport and roading, infrastructure and vegetation, through to forestry and agriculture.
The Draughts person is responsible for the production and provision of drawings to the workshop along with any other technical information that may be required from time to time to ensure timely and accurate delivery of products. The "customers" will essentially be the staff from the three product sectors; Vehicles, Machinery and Attachments along with our central Stores. You will be expected to deliver drawings and information to them in full, on time and in spec (DIFOTIS).
You will need to have a high degree of accuracy with numbers, be an excellent communicator, well organised, a team player who has ideally had some exposure to Lean concepts and can work to deadlines with minimal supervision. Experience with LTNZ regulations from a vehicle design perspective would be advantageous as would an understanding of the design requirements governing forestry equipment.
• Produce layout drawings from quotes and specifications with input from the Product Managers
• Where necessary, liaise with the suppliers to obtain and/or verify design data
• Model parts and assemblies for each job based on layout drawings, quotes and specifications
• Produce workshop manufacturing drawings (fabrication, folding, profiling and machining) within required timeframes to meet manufacturing deadlines
• Derive bills of material and steel cut lists from drawings for procurement
• At all times, ensure the products being designed are cost effective and based on sound and best practice engineering principles and are fit for their intended purpose
Drawing System Maintenance
• Ensure that files in your projects/jobs are filed in the correct location on the server and within the document management software
• Ensure all processes and procedures are followed with particular attention to the drawing sign off and approval process
• Ensure all job packs are reviewed on the completion of each job and the appropriate updates are carried out.
Health & Safety
• The company has a Health and Safety Policy in place and you will be expected to comply with this at all times.
• Participate in the development and implementation of appropriate Lean practices in the Drawing Office in conjunction with the Operations Manager and Drawing Office Supervisor including methodologies such as 5S, continuous improvement and value stream mapping.
• Other duties as reasonably required and as requested by the Drawing Office Supervisor from time to time.
Spending Authority: Inventory:
Capex: Up to $2,000
Direct Reports: None
• Internal customers (Vehicles, Machinery, Attachments and Stores)
• External customers
• Operations team
• Management team
Key Performance Indicators
• In order to measure the performance and effectiveness of the position incumbent, a review will be conducted annually. This will be carried out with the Drawing Office Supervisor at agreed times using agreed KPI's. These KPI's will include (but not be limited to);
o Health and Safety incidents/accidents are below stated target levels
o Minimisation of manufacturing reworks due to drawing errors
o Delivery of drawing job lots within stated time frames
Qualifications & Experience
• Experienced in 3D modelling (preferably SolidWorks) and 2D drawing (preferably AutoCAD)
• Experience with EPDM (Enterprise Product Data Management) software is advantageous
• Be able to produce engineering manufacturing drawings quickly and accurately
• Have commenced study towards or already hold a Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical)
• Good time management and organisational skills
• Able to work as part of a team as well as unsupervised
• Excellent numeracy and English, verbal and written communication skills
• Some road transport industry and/or forestry equipment industry related experience
• Quality Management systems exposure
• Ability to pass a drug and alcohol test if requested